Aloke Bose Majumdar1, Arup Sengupta1, Ranabir Pal2
1Department of Otorhinolaryngology, M. G. M. Medical College and LSK Hospital, Kishanganj – 855 107, Bihar, India.
2Department of Community Medicine, Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences (SMIMS) and Central Referral Hospital (CRH), 5th Mile, Tadong, Gangtok, Sikkim – 737 102, India.
DOI: 10.4103/0976-9668.92313


A computer lithium battery cell was impacted in the cricopharynx of a 1 year and 9 month-old child. The battery cell was safely removed with the pediatric flexible oesophagoscope under anesthesia without trauma to the surrounding structures. The lithium battery cell is potentially dangerous due to its ability to cause chemical damage to the mucosa and cause early inflammation and edema leading to dysphagia and respiratory obstruction. Hence, it should be promptly extracted without delay to prevent catastrophe. The toddler recovered uneventfully in the immediate post-operative period and was followed-up for the last 1 year without any complication. To the horizon of our knowledge, no previous case was reported with computer battery cell in the cricopharynx of a toddler in Eastern India. In conclusion, parent education is important in the early detection of foreign bodies and their interventions.

Keywords: Computer battery cell, flexible oesophagoscope, toddler.

Please follow and like us:
News Reporter